Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

Car parked and locked. Returned to find all four windows

Customer Question

Car parked and locked. Returned to find all four windows open . This happened twice in last three days.?
JA: How many miles are on the Volvo? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: Twice recently .
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: Passat ,year 2055, 69000on the clock.
JA: What year is your Passat?
Customer: Sorry,2005 year.
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All service at good garage.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Car is perfect apart from this.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hi thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician with 30 years experience. hopefully I can help you.

The central door locking system does incorporate a control which connects to the windows, the object of this connection is to be able to close all the windows using the locking mechanism, unfortunately when things go wrong it can have adverse affects.

The most likely cause of your problem is frayed wiring in the loom between the driers door and the body. This loom is flexed a lot during its lifetime and it is quite common to find the wires will fracture over time.

This can give several symptoms including the windows being opened as you are experiencing.

The first move would be to check this loom for any breaks or fractures in the wires which may be allowing them to short out.

If after checking this no problems are found there is another possibility and that could be that water has got into the control unit in the door. By taking the door panel off you may be able to check the control unit and dry it out.

I hope this answers your question, if it does please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue. Even after clicking accept I will still be able to answer any further questions.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome, let me know if you find anything.

Steve