Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

Put in ignition, feels as if imoboliser is on Assistant:

Customer Question

Put hey in ignition, feels as if imoboliser is on
Assistant: Have you checked the battery lately?
Customer: Yes MOTD 2 days ago
Assistant: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: Xc90 2006
Assistant: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Put key in, gives me power but won't let me turn key to first setting
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it really
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified technician with over 30 years in the trade, I hopefully can help you.

The way you describe it I believe that the problem is with the ignition lock failing to turn the extra distance to activate the starter.

This can be a common problem on the Volvo's with the laser cut keys and could indicate that you may need to change the ignition barrel soon.

The solution in the short term (and this should work for a while) is to use a small amount of three -in-one oil on the key blade and a small amount put into the ignition lock where the key goes in.

The jiggling the key in and out to allow the oil to access the tumblers, should free it off.

I hope this helps and answers your question, but do please feel free to ask any further questions.

if it does answer your question please rate me and click accept, this allows me to continue.

I can answer further questions after you have done this.

Many Thanks

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Just a quick follow up to see if you managed to free the lock off and start the Volvo ok.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Negative, car in garage
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Hope all goes well.

Steve