Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

When key fob used to unlock my V40 (FY54WTG) the alarm

Customer Question

When key fob used to unlock my V40 (FY54WTG) the alarm sounds - no indicators or lights flash, just the sound. Switching on engine etc, does not fix the problem. Alarm repeats at intervals whether being driven or not. Eventually stops after bonnet and rear door have been opened and shut a few times. Seems to be no logical reason - perhaps the fob needs a new battery? Any suggestions welcomed!
JA: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?
Customer: Fob had battery replacement several years ago and has worked fine to open/close since.
JA: What year is your V40?
Customer: New late 2004
JA: Are you fixing your V40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hardly do any maintenance myself now - I'm a lot older than the car!
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The alarm problem has occurred twice during the past year. The first time I had it looked at by my usual garage. They cleaned the bonnet sensor and I was trouble free for about six months. I used the car today and locked it using the remote fob when parked. Returned to the car and on opening with the remote, the alarm sounded as described.
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 days ago.

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 7 days ago.

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, could you tell me please if the alarm keeps sounding or it deactivate for a moment?