Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified 19+yrs exp/self employed technician in the UK
13210289

I just had my steering go, going to do that now. Had a quick

Hi I just had my steering go
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: going to do that now. Had a quick look and had no leaks
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: CX70 all wheel drive 2009
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I reading up but hoping it's something small. I'm no machanoc
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: felt a slight shudder when high speed breaking for a while before
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I was doing a tight three point turn in a parking lot and the stearing was fine after. But when I came to the next 2 junction, the wheel seriously stiffened up. Limped home and parked the car. No lights or dash warning lights - indicators came on. The care is a Volvo XC70 2009 all wheel drive which I bought 2 months ago. It was suppose to have gone through a MOT at the time of sale and passed fine. I did some highway and town driving - approximitly 700 miles since owning the vehicle. It's my first vehicle so cautious about doing stuff on my own but also don't want a huge bill for fixing it. Technicaly the vehicle is still under warrenty for the next 30 days ... but down in central England and I am up in the far North of Scotland.

Hi..there..

Firstly of course as you mentioned..you need to check your PS fluid reservior and ensure it still has fluid in it..of course if its low or dry..then you must have a leak somewhere on the system..normally this would cause the steering pump to become noiser in operation due to it dragging air or complete loss of steering assist.. next check obviously would be the auxiallary belt that drives your power steering pump..so quickly give that a check - if that has gone then you simply need to get someone out to you to replace the belt..considering it drives the alternator too you wont get long befoe the car will shut down...if both these things as above seem to be in order then it likely the pump itself has gone which is too uncommon..it does require removal plus special puller tool,because normally new pumps come without the pulley drive.so the old hub/pulley off to fit to the new pump..so not something a normal diyer could carry out unless they have that pulley puller and install tool

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I dont at any point remember hearing any noise. I'll go check power steering fluids now.

Yes..check the level.. the caps got a red steering wheel on it..is on the drivers side of the engine bay.. also check the belt whilst your in that area see if its still intact or not loose or anything...