Marc Webster
Marc Webster,
Experience:  mechanic at sw autos
107219462

2011 s60 d3. Went to lock it last night and all electrical

Customer Question

2011 s60 d3. Went to lock it last night and all electrical went dead. No power to anything. Had to use the key to get in and pop the bonnet. After checking the battery, the car would lock and unlock. Tried driving it, seemed ok, after 1 mile, both headlamps stopped working and the sport light came on the dash. I'm confused and I need my car as I work a long way from where I live
Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Not power. Complete electrical system
Assistant: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Connections on the battery
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Over the last week, the dashboard has lit up all lights for a split second while driving. It has done this twice, but then carried on as if nothing had happened
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Marc Webster replied 6 months ago.
have you checked all the connections to the battery and check the engine fusebox for signs of contamination like green residue
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the battery connections and that's when I was able to lock and unlock it with the key fob again.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But for both headlamps to blow at the same time after one mile of driving threw me. Unless it's a connection issue and not the bulbs. I shall take them out and check them shortly
it sounds as if the battery connection is loose, have you tightened them up
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I shook them, they seemed tight. I shall try tightening them. Would that explain the lamps?
a loosr connection can cause all what your experiencing,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you think the lamps are blown, or dodgy connection?
are the headlights not working now the cars unlocked, it could be either loose connection or water contamination in a fuseboard
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No dip beam or main beam. They worked fine. I drove a mile then they went dead. The led lights at the front and taillights still work, as do the brake lights
check all fuses and relays in the engine fusebox and inside the vehicle first. its possible the fuse blown
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Battery terminal was loose! Thank you. Still no lamps. Checked the bulbs and they are all fine. Which fuse box, this thing has 3?! Lol
if you open the fuse box in the engine on the cover of the box should be a diagram. lool for the headlight symbol
there will be one one the inside fusebox too
look for headlight*
did you have any joy finding the fuses?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cant find the one relating to the headlamps in any online or manual
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is the image or icon for the headlamps inside the fuse box?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have pulled every fuse in the engine compartment, all are fine, I have tried the car on high beam, which works fine, but low beam still will not work. Help please. Light is fading, shops are now closed and I have a 70 mile round trip to work tomorrow
Expert:  Marc Webster replied 5 months ago.
sorry for the delay, did you get this sorted or do you still require assistance