experteer
experteer,
77184159

I own a v40 d2 volvo 2015. Has been service regularly. 2

I own a v40 d2 volvo 2015 . Has been service regularly. 2 weeks ago my husband was driving and car lost power and stopped . It was recovered to local garage and then taken to a volvo dealer who say the timing belt is broken due to a seized fuel pump. they suggest fuel is cloudy and may have water. We use same filling station always with good diesel . The car has only 46000 miles up . would welcome your advise
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Car stopped completely and would not start.
JA: Are you fixing your V40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We were told initial it was timing belt and as thee car had low mileage i felt volvo should cover it despite being outside 3 year warranty.we were then too the tiling belt failed due to seized fuel pump.it was suggested we test fuel for water but at £100 not sure this would be of any assistance . diagnostics is currently costing me 300 pounds
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

I am now dealing with your question, I will be back in this chat in a few minutes.

Was the diesel tested for water?

If not, it should be checked.

If the diesel contains water, this is not a guarantee case. I assume that the torn timing belt has destroyed the entire engine? If so, the costs will unfortunately remain with you.

However, if no water is detectable in the fuel, I see here an operational damage due to the failed fuel pump. These can eat themselves even without water. This is very rare with the mileage, but not impossible. Here the warranty should apply.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Because car is 41/2 years old it would be outside any warranty I presume , but felt as the car as such low mileage Volvo should make contribution . To my knowledge no water as got into system. Is it possible for fuel pump seizing to cause breaking if timeing belt.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How much should it cost to have fuel tested and how can you do it ? Does dealer have to send it away or can you sdnd it yourself

Oh, sorry, I wasn't looking at the year. My fault.

Yes, a seizure of the pump causes the timing belt to break. This is typical for such damage to the injection pump.

The master mechanic can make a goodwill application to Volvo. Volvo may then add something to the repair, but unfortunately there is no entitlement to a share of the costs.

Only the PRaftstoff can be tested by sucking something out of the tank, this can be done in front of the fuel filter. I estimate the labour costs at maximum GPB 50 Euro.

But I think that the workshop has investigated the pump and other causes. The diagnostic costs they named are not untypical.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it necessary to have fuel tested for this

PRaftstoff = fuel sorry

If there is a suspicion that water in the fuel has caused the problem it is necessary, yes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there any other reason for fuel pump to seize apart from water in diseil

Yes, wear and tear (even at low mileage this can happen if the fit in the pump was not ok) or the tank was once completely empty, so that the car went out or misfuelling with petrol.