Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

I have VW touareg 2.5tdi 2004, it starts but after an hour

Customer Question

I have VW touareg 2.5tdi 2004, it starts but after an hour it cuts off. If I try to restart it won't until maybe another hour. I have changed the alternator as it was displaying not charging when it cuts out
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes, bought a battery a week ago
JA: Are you fixing your Touareg yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A friend with some car repairs experience was helping
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: What might be the issue
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

One of the known problems with the 2.5 Touareg is a problem with the DPF pressure sensor, this can cause the engine to cut out when the pressure builds up, If the ignition warning light is not on during normal running the fault is unlikely to be the alternator, but if the light is coming on just as the engine cuts out, this could be an ignition switch problem. If the switch is heating up and then causing the engine to cut out, this would explain why the system needs to cool again before it will re-start.

Idealy the vehicle should be plugged into a diagnostic scanner, this should then reveal the reason for the cutting out and refusal to start again.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve