Kevin
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at Kemsing motor company
84635724

The car will not start, all of the software lights, warning

The car will not start, all of the software lights, warning lights have come on. The AA came out yesterday and found 17 faults and reset the software. Had the car 2 weeks!
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The warning lights
JA: What is the model of your '17 Volvo?
Customer: V40 d2
JA: Are you fixing your V40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i had the aa out and they deleted the errors but it’s came back a day later
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I don’t think so

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, my name is Kev

Hi, Kev I hope you are well. what happens when attempting to start?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It comes up with brake system failure, pedestrian protection , dstc , air bags . So it won’t start.

ok, and what did the aa do? just clear the faults? where did you purchase from?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yeah just cleared the faults and it was fine for a day. Then just came back. I bought the car 3 weeks ago but it had a new Volvo battery and new software update.

ok, do you know the faults that are stored? did the car come from a dealer?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry don’t know what you mean .
No it was a private sale . Only done 60k miles though

ok .so when these warnings come on they are there because an issue has been detected .this fault being detected stores fault codes .these codes are stored in the computer memory and it's these that your aa man is clearing to reset the car. we use these codes to give us an idea as to whats going on

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
what do you suggest I do please as there’s can’t be all theses faults .

no, it's likely there is a communication error or power issue affecting multiple systems. This is a very difficult issue to diagnose without being at the vehicle as you aa man found and he had the car in front of him .the car needs to be connected to a diagnostic tool to read the faults and actually try to diagnose the cause rather than deleting the faults