Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

I want to add a reversing camera to my 2013 volvo xc90 and

Customer Question

I want to add a reversing camera to my 2013 volvo xc90 and have been told that the satnav screen currently in the vehicle may not support the addition. I have located a multifunction screen and am wondering if I can simply swap the screen and then wire in and attach the camera. Will the satnav still work and can it be connected up to provide additional functionality?
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Phillip H replied 13 days ago.

Hiya

If you want to add a Reverse Park Camera you are better off going to your local Volvo Dealer who can supply you with a Reverse Park Camera Kit designed to fit your vehicle.

If you try fitting an aftermarket kit you run the serious risk of damage to the vehicles existing electrical / electronic circuits.

Phillip

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I assume the dealer will charge an arm and a leg. I have a local car electric specialist I use but my real question was whether the standard satnav screen can take the camera and if not whether it can be swapped with the multifunction screen taken from a MK 1 second hand? Thanks
Expert:  Phillip H replied 13 days ago.

Hiya

If you are going to fit an aftermarket system then you are best off using a standalone system.  Do not touch any of the existing vehicle electrical circuits other than getting your power from a battery live via a fuse.

The Genuine Volvo Kit will be slightly more expensive but it is made for your vehicle and compatible with it.  It would end up costing you more in the long run if your vehicle is damaged through fitting aftermarket parts!

Phillip