Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

I have a 2008 2.0d s40 my cem unit has gone bad I bought a

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2008 2.0d s40 my cem unit has gone bad I bought a replacement cem unit and tried to have it cloned but my original cem has lost all its data can I buy a replacement full ecu kit to get my car fixed
JA: Are you fixing your S40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Read above
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No that's all thanks
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Phillip H replied 13 days ago.

Hiya

To have all of the ECU's on a vehicle replaced will be extremely costly.  If you take the vehicle to your local Volvo Dealer they will be able to fit a new unit and carry out the necessary programming and configuration in order to get the vehicle working again.

Phillip

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I can buy a full ecu kit with matching numbers for £120 will a full ecu kit get my car running??
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do you know the answer???
Expert:  Phillip H replied 13 days ago.

Hiya

I would be extremely worried if you can buy a full ECU kit for that price.  Have you heard if the phrase 'You get what you pay for'?

You're opening up a can of worms getting an ECU kit like that!  Go to the Dealer they will fit the one module it requires and carry out t he necessary programming and configuration!

I will never tell anyone to fit a substandard part of dubious origin that will in all probability give you even more problems!

Phillip