Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Had throttle pedal sensor replaced on 07,volvo v50,

Hi, had throttle pedal sensor replaced on 07,volvo v50, diagnostic showed it was faulty, its intermittent fault, the car won't cross 2800 rpm on sart up only, hae to turn off, key out an start again, an it's ok, fault won't happen when it's being driven, it's only on startup, an there is no eng management light on, so when I start car every time I rev it to make sure rev counter goes over 2800 rpm, any thoughts plz
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Yeah wheel turn an there don't seem to be key damage,
JA: Are you fixing your V50 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yeah, new pedal sensor an air flow meter
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: This only happens on start up, today I forgot to rev it on start up to make sure it went over 2800 rpm an it started to shudder, so I pulled into layby, turned it off an on again and it was fine, full power restored

Hiya

When you say the diagnostic showed the Throttle Pedal Sensor was faulty what exactly do you mean?  There is a code that shows Throttle Pedal Sensor?

If so you need to complete the diagnostic!  When you retrieve a fault code using a diagnostic code reader the code points to the area in which you need to look at.  So in your case it points to the Throttle Pedal Sensor.  The code you have retrieved could mean one of three things:

1. Throttle Pedal Sensor Faulty

2. Engine Control Module Faulty

3. Wiring Harness / Connectors between the two faulty

The first stage would be to see what you have at the Throttle Pedal Sensor as per the Volvo Service Manual.  It will no doubt give you items like Voltage and Earth to check at the connector and maybe a resistance check of the sensor itself.  You would then have to carry out continuity checks of the wiring from the sensor to the module.  If all of that checks out ok then the only thing it can be is the module itself.

The Workshop Manuals detailing the testing needed is available here: Volvo B2B

Phillip

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK but why doesn't engine management light come on when it's faulty

Hiya

The Engine Management Light will only come on if it notices a fault several times in a row.  For example 2nd Trip Detection which is usual for most Engine Management Faults means that the Warning Light will only come on if the fault occurs on two consecutive trips.  If the fault doesn't reoccur then the light will not come on and the fault will just be recorded as a Past Code.

Phillip