Malcolm Gillespie
Malcolm Gillespie, Technician
Experience:  City & guilds pt 1 & 2
22484842

Emissions fail on my MOT, need a good garage to complete the

Customer Question

Emissions fail on my MOT, need a good garage to complete the investigation and repair.
JA: What is the model/year of your Volvo?
Customer: V40 D2 , 15 plate
JA: Are you fixing your V40 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, not fixing it myself. I have taken it to a small local garage, they ran a few tests to see if it was a issue regarding being remapped but the results were inconclusive
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't think so
Category: Volvo
Expert:  Malcolm Gillespie replied 18 days ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for using just answer.    Most reasons for emission failure is short journeys and engine not hot enough when they do the test.  I suggest adding a fuel additive to the tank and drive it hard on the motorway for atleast half an hour, with the engine , exhaust and additive working it will go through the emissions test.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks for the advice Malcolm. Apparently it's common issue in this model but the garage it took it to could only recommend taking it to a Volvo specialist.

You can do it yourself.