Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

I have a 2007 Volvo XC90 automatic gearbox. Unfortunately

Hi I have a 2007 Volvo XC90 automatic gearbox. Unfortunately due to covid it has not been serviced since pre-covid. before that serviced regularly. Sorry sent too soon.
JA: Are you fixing your XC90 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It is slipping when in changing low gears, fine when on the motorway.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: 190k
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I did notice something under the car a couple of weeks ago, this problem has steadily been getting worse over the last 3 months.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly. You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread.

The automatic transmission fluid should be changed on these boxes every 2 years, as the service has lapsed, it would be worth getting the fluid changed, this may resolve the situation, it can be the case that the operating solenoid's in the box can stick resulting in lower line pressure, the first move would be to have the gearbox serviced to ensure it is in its optimum condition.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Thank you for using Just Answer

Steve

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Steve,
Many Thanks for your reply. I have owned the car for 4 years, and have never had the fluid changed......ouch!!
could I have done irreparable damage to it, as I have driven it for so long in this condition.
Only last week I did notice a little fluid under the car....

It will depend on the mileage, the normal recommended between services is 36,000 the oil changes are important, but it may well be saved by getting the oil changed now, it is the  deterioration of the oil which is often the cause, not so much damage to the box.

Steve

It was a pleasure to assist you yesterday. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Steve