judybailey61
judybailey61, Teacher
Experience:  Writing expert on justanswer.com for ten years. College degree in mathematics.
46206387

When writing a poem, can you start with rhyming but stop

When writing a poem, can you start with rhyming but stop towards the end? I'm writing a poem and the main character's love interest dies towards the end of the poem. Can you write in rhymes until she dies and then stop, showing that the main character is no longer feeling the freedom they felt with her? If not, can I rhyme but leave the last sentence without rhyming? Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm good to wait
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Tetyana-moderator

Hello and thank you for your patience. This is certainly an interesting method you are proposing. As far as "can you" ... there is nothing that says you cannot. If you are looking for a name to this unusual approach in terms of rhyme schemes, there is no name for this. On the other hand, the idea is creative, and not really a concern for proper rhyming. It injects a type of personification to the non-rhyming parts of the poem as you emphasize an emotion to the main character by using a non-rhyming scheme.

Also, the idea of leaving the last sentence un-rhymed is certainly a strategy that serves the purpose of an emphatic ending.

Again, thank you for your patience and using our service. Regards, Judy

judybailey61, Teacher
Experience: Writing expert on justanswer.com for ten years. College degree in mathematics.